Further details of the Federal Government’s Australian Broadband Guarantee, which was announced last week, have been revealed.
The Broadband Guarantee, which is worth $162.5 million, replaces the Broadband Connect subsidy program.
The Minister for Communications, Information Technology and the Arts, Senator Helen Coonan, says the new program will target difficult ‘blackspot’ areas.
Current eligible Broadband Connect providers who can connect customers quickly to new broadband infrastructure will be offered fast-track interim registration to the Broadband Guarantee, Senator Coonan says.
“Registered broadband providers in regional areas who have recently installed new infrastructure as part of the Broadband Connect subsidy program, and who may not have had a reasonable opportunity to recoup a portion of the costs, will be entitled to claim subsidies for connecting new customers under the Australian Broadband Guarantee,” she says.
Existing Metropolitan Broadband Connect providers will be able to roll over their existing service areas into the new program, while registered providers will be able to expand into new metro and out metro service areas from April 2.
Further expansion of service delivery areas will occur from July 1 of this year.