Facebook say they have changed their ‘Timeline’ display so older message do not show up in bulk.
Click to enlarge
“We’ve made several improvements to the way older content is displayed on timeline to make the audience and other information clearer,” Facebook confirmed.
1 billion global Facebookers will see the ‘improvements’ on their timeline from this week, in a bid to quell the din by users angry at their wall posts being made public.
The improvements to posts involves some minor language and presentation changes on timeline, which started to roll out last Tuesday, to make it clearer who wrote on your wall.
Most users should have it by now, a Facebook spokesperson told SmartHouse.
These “improvements” come after huge numbers of Facebook users globally, including several SmartHouse spoke to, believed pre-2010 ‘private’ messages were made public on their timelines, visible on their profile pages.
Although the older wall posts will still appear on profile pages, users can manually hide the posts from their timeline.
Facebook deny the charge and say there was no privacy breach; rather, these message were wall posts dating pre 2009, before ‘likes’ or ‘comments’ were introduced, fooling users into thinking these messages were ‘private’ when this was not the case.
“Our engineers investigated these reports and found that the messages were older wall posts that had always been visible on the users’ profile pages. Facebook is satisfied that there has been no breach of user privacy.” the network said after the scandal first broke two weeks ago.
The ‘leaked’ messages occurred after Facebook globally rolled out Timeline, causing the format changes.
In Australia, there are 11.5 million monthly active users on the social network, it said last week.